Monday, October 8, 2007

I feel just like a child

Last night I saw hippie love god Devendra Banhart at La Zona Rosa in Austin. (No, I didn't wear a dress. Or did I?)

He's been calling his band "Spiritual bonerz" (The z is silent--as he put it: "Its an endless z, therefore silent") but last night they were called both "Sorry we're pancakes" and "The fat boys."

The show was generally great and occasionally transcendent. He started the show soft and very gradually began to melt face. Everyone sang, and he gave a lot of room for folks in his band to play their own songs, some of which were excellent, others not so much. They hit a lot of Santana and Doors-type grooves, and there were a couple harder rocking tunes that blew me away. If anyone in the band was tripping balls (likely), they didn't let it affect their performance.

He did let someone in the audience come up and play a song--"Has anyone here written a song recently they want to share?" It was a cute gesture. Of course the song sucked, but whatevs.

Anyway, if any of y'all haven't checked out Devendra, I recommend giving him a fair shake. His albums are sprawling, and there's always a lot of throw-aways, but his songwriting is more clever than peeps generally give him credit for.

Look at this

and

this.

1 comment:

David M. Frank said...

Watch for Gael Garcia Bernal in the Seahorse video.